Wednesday, January 9, 2008

January Thaw

Turns out I'm living in the past, or possibly some parallel dimension.

There I was, out in the unfeeling world looking for an after-Christmas sale on cross-country ski equipment.

And there was everyone else, looking for exactly the same thing.

Elementary marketing: When there's a ton of lovely snow, people rush around buying skis even before Christmas. Even after Christmas, supply is low and demand is high. Sale, schmale.

It wasn't just that nothing was on sale. Nothing existed. I couldn't find anything in my size in Ellsworth, so I went to Bangor. I found one pair of boots in my size (well, maybe a tad too big but OK with thick socks). Fortunately they and the skis were gently used. Almost like being on sale.

I went skiing once (gorgeous). Then the temperature shot up to 50 degrees and the rain started. It's been in the 40s and 50s for three days now. The ground is bare in places.

I am not responsible for the January thaw. I am NOT responsible for this! Many, many other people bought skis when I did. This is not my fault. Not.

I'm so sorry.

No comments: